Collaboration with families is an essential component of the learning process for students. It is vital that families engage in their child’s education so they can support continued learning at home. In an effort to increase family engagement, you will need to prepare thoughtful, intentional opportunities for families to be a part of their child’s learning.
As discussed throughout this course, encouraging family participation in the classroom can greatly enhance the early educational experience of young children in many ways, helping them feel safe and comfortable in the educational environment. This aligns with the Christian worldview because Christian values encourage individuals to use their God-given gifts and talents to fulfill the purposes. Establishing a comfort level at this early age increases the likelihood of an ongoing, positive educational experience throughout their lives.
For this assignment, assume you are the newly hired director of an early childhood center that is going to be opening soon. As the director, you have the responsibility of establishing a culture that supports the involvement of families and the community in the education of the young children who will be attending the center. To help establish this culture, you are going to create a Volunteer Handbook outlining the use of community and family volunteers at the center.
Based on the demographic material you researched in Topic 3, create a 750-1,000 word Volunteer Handbook to share with families in the community.
Include the following:
- Title page with a statement of purpose.
- Letter to families describing the positive effects that diverse volunteers in the classroom can have on student learning outcomes, based on supporting research.
- A flexible weekly volunteer plan for your classroom environment with opportunities for families to contribute inside or outside of the classroom and school day (to accommodate family members who work during the school day).
- Policies for volunteering in the classroom (i.e., fingerprint clearance requirements, siblings allowed with the volunteer, restrictions on types of interactions with children).
- Explanation of how you will encourage multiple perspectives relevant to students’ personal, family, and community experiences.
- Technological contact and communication information for families to provide input on other ways they could contribute to the learning environment and collaborate on student development and learning.
Support your handbook with 3-5 scholarly resources.
While APA format is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and in-text citations and references should be presented using documentation guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. Refer to the LopesWrite Technical Support articles for assistance.