In order to prepare and write this essay effectively, please address the following:
- What is the message of this poem?
Click on this link to help you analyze the poem. After clicking on the link, click on the “Commentary” tab to learn about the meaning of the poem.
- Which immigrants’ experiences reflected the message of the poem? Provide specific examples from the readings, films, assignments, and AVPs.
- Which immigrants’ experiences did not reflect the message of the poem? Provide specific examples from the readings, films, assignments, and AVPs.
Following is a template for writing the essay that students may use if they wish. Parts 2 and 3 can have as many paragraphs as they wish.
Part 1: Introductory paragraph
- State your thesis. For example: The poem The New Colossus by Emma Lazarus promises hope for immigrants coming to America, but did America really live up to the promise of this poem?
- Explain the meaning of the poem
- Let the reader know where you stand on this question. Did immigrants’ experiences reflect the promises of the poem or not. Or did some immigrants have different experiences than others? Make sure your ending sentence lets the reader know what you plan to argue. Remember you do not have to choose one side or the other, you can argue that both sides are true if you wish. Do not use the words “I” “we” “us”
Part 2: How did America live up to the poem’s promises? Provide specific examples
Part 3: How did America fail to live up the poem’s promises? Provide specific examples
Part 5: Closing paragraph. Restate your introduction in different words and make a final pronouncement about what the promise of the poem really meant for immigrants.
Do not introduce any new cited material in conclusion (that would go in the body of your paper).