At this point in your practicum, you are discovering the importance of our community public-health work to ensure optimal health and well-being of all people through a process that respects diversity, addressing the structural biases, social inequities, and racism that undermine health and create obstacles to health equity at organizational, community, and societal levels. Public health organizations and professionals achieve this in part through organizational capacity building, which strengthens characteristics that promote community health and well-being through the planning, development, and implementation of community programs. For this assignment, you will conduct an organizational capacity assessment of your practicum site and determine how effectively the site is building capacity to address the needs of the community. You will save this assignment in your ePortfolio.
Meet with the field instructor or supervisor to discuss this assignment. Obtain permission to conduct the organizational capacity assessment at your practicum site. You will also use data available to you through various databases and a literature review.
For this assignment you should specifically:
- Discuss the baseline level of core public health and environmental health services provided by the practicum organization to the community, especially to underserved and culturally diverse populations.
- Describe baseline level of core public health and environmental health services.
- Define underserved and culturally diverse populations.
- Analyze your practicum organization’s gaps and areas of strength in relation to the services offered to diverse populations in the community.
- Describe the services offered, including strengths and service gaps.
- Identify data that support your description of the service gaps and areas of strength.
- Compare your practicum organization’s gaps and areas of strength to similar organizations and programs in other areas, regions, states, or countries.
- Provide examples of the services offered, gaps, and strengths of other organizations researched.
- Discuss how and where the organization or program can increase the efficiency and effectiveness of core services being offered to the community as a whole.
- Analyze how your agency applies the principles of community-based participatory research to improve health in diverse populations.
- Define community-based participatory research.
- Provide examples of CBPR projects and initiatives your practicum site is participating in or leading. If they are not involved in CBPR, please explain why.
- Discuss the systems-thinking tools the practicum site uses to address a public health issue or community problem.
- Describe the systems-thinking tools used at the practicum site.
- Discuss how the practicum site uses these systems-thinking tools to address a community public-health issue.
- Evaluate the communication system in place among the partners, staff, and community.
- Discuss how the practicum site communicates internally and externally.
- Describe how the practicum site uses technology to communicate.
- Describe ways in which the practicum site is doing well or can improve with their internal and external communication.
- Analyze ways capacity can be built by influencing public health policy or resource allocation.
- Enumerate the data, resources, and activities that have been collected on current staffing, collaborations, resources, and funding.
- Identify resource strengths and deficits of the practicum site and discuss ways to address those deficits.
- Identify public health policies that exist or can be proposed to legislation to increase agency capacity to address community public health concerns.
- Write following APA style for in-text citations and references.
- Determine the proper application of APA formatting requirements and scholarly writing standards.
- Apply the principles of effective composition.
- Write clearly and logically with correct use of spelling and grammar.
- Determine the proper application of the rules of grammar and mechanics.
- Assess the relevance and credibility of information sources.
Remember that your instructor will be providing feedback on your assignments.
- Written communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: Resources and citations are formatted according to current APA style and formatting standards.
- Cited resources: Minimum of seven scholarly sources. All literature cited should be current, with publication dates within the past five years.
- Length of paper: 5–7 double-spaced pages.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 points.
- ePortfolio: You will save your final paper to your ePortfolio.